Mental toughness is something often talked about in sports. If an athlete wants to be successful he must master the mental game as much as the physical game. The mentally weak may have some success, but it will not last. Lasting success only comes to those who have a high level of mental toughness.
This is true in sports and in life.
Being mentally tough is essential. And the crazy thing is, there is no limit to how mentally tough you can be.
Physical strength has a limit. I can hit the weights and do everything I can to get physically stronger, but there will be some point where I have maxed out the amount of physical strength I possess.
Not so with mental toughness. There is no max. You can continually improve your mental toughness. It has no limits.
Mental toughness is a choice.
You know as well as I do that life will bring us situations that will put us to the test. Maybe you’re in one of those situations right now?
Choosing to be mentally tough will allow you to get through the pain, adversity, and the challenges that you are dealing with. It’s a necessary attitude that will allow you to overcome when overcoming doesn’t look possible.
Whether you are raising your kids, working out an issue with your spouse, trying to pass a class, dealing with financial issues, creating something new in your business, trying to exercise more discipline, dealing with a situation at work, or any worthy goal you are working towards, you will need to be mentally tough in order to succeed! My resiliency will outlast my adversity. Click To Tweet
The adversity you are facing is not abnormal. We all face adversity. We face it in the form of criticism from others, we face it when we begin to doubt our own abilities, we face it when there is an unexpected challenge putting constraints on us, and we face it whenever things just don’t go according to plan.
Everyone faces adversity but not everyone chooses to be mentally tough. You must choose mental toughness if you want to succeed!
Look over the following list of 10 decisions mentally tough people make. Make these 10 decisions every day and your mental toughness will immediately begin to improve.
10 Decisions Mentally Tough People Make:
- The mentally tough person decides to never give up. It’s simply not an option. No matter how bad the situation is, giving up is not a thought they entertain. The mentally tough person decides to find a way, no matter what. They believe there is a way, and will do whatever it takes to find that way.
- The mentally tough person decides set-backs are really set-ups. They understand there will be setbacks, but doesn’t allow the setback to stop them. Setbacks are a part of the process. A setback is only a set up for the next great thing.
- The mentally tough person decides that slow progress is still progress. They are not easily discouraged when things don’t move along as fast as they would like. They are willing to go an inch at a time.
- The mentally tough person chooses to stay positive. They understand negative thinking never accomplishes anything except more negative thinking. They don’t whine or complain or criticize. Instead of wasting time and energy talking about all the things that are wrong, they focus on how to fix things. A negative mind will never give you a positive life. Click To Tweet
- The mentally tough person decides what they really want. They have clarity. The clearer your picture of what you want the more likely you are able to get passed the obstacles that are in your way.
- The mentally tough person decides to use their pain as motivation. They keep focused on the outcome they want, not the pain they are experiencing. They don’t have less pain than anyone else, they simply don’t allow their minds to linger on the pain; they constantly keep the vision of what they want in front of them.
- The mentally tough person decides that anything is possible. They don’t put limits on anything. Others will try to put limits on what’s possible for them, but they don’t listen. Neither will they listen to the doubts that creep in to their own mind. They quickly dismiss limiting thoughts and replace them with possibility thoughts.
- The mentally tough person decides to keeps their emotions in check. They understand it’s ok to be emotional, but it’s not ok to let their emotions control them.
- The mentally tough person decides to live by a standard. They do not give in to pressure, rather they let their character shine loud and clear during difficulty. They realize there is never a a good reason for lowering the bar.
- The mentally tough person decides to learn from failures and mistakes. Henry Ford said, “Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.”
When you decide to make these 10 decisions you instantly improve your mental toughness. Over time your toughness will continue to get stronger and you will accomplish the goals you have set for yourself. To get through the adversities of life, mental toughness is required!