We all find ourselves from time to time in difficult situations that we have no control over. We have a boss or coworker that makes life miserable…or we have a family member that is doing their own thing and hurting you and others…or perhaps you’re in a transition period waiting for the “next thing”.
Life is always presenting us with challenges in everything from finances to relationships to our health.
What do you do when there is nothing you can do?Too often we get so focused on the situation, even though we know there is nothing we can do to change it, that we lose sight of what we should be focused on. Here is one thing you can do to instantly make your situation better: Focus on YOU! Focus on the one thing you can actually control, and that is yourself.
You control your attitude, you control your reactions, you control every thought, every word, and every action you have.
Don’t waste any more time or energy focusing on the things you have no control over.
In most challenging situations I’ve been in I find there is usually at least one thing I can do to make the situation better, and there are also things I can do to make the situation worse! And I’ve done my fair share of both! Only spend time and energy on what matters…on what you can actually do to change things that are in your control.
Use these 6 things to help you focus on what you can control:
- You’ve been through tough times before and got through it….and you’ll do it again. How quickly we forget the times when we were at the end of our rope, but somehow we hung on and got through it. You will do it again.
- You are stronger than you think you are. You can handle this! The mind is powerful and too many people psyche themselves out by convincing themselves it’s too much. It’s not too much! You’ve got this!
- In every adversity, there is always a “seed of equal benefit”. There is something in your situation that is going to serve you in the future. One thing you can do to instantly make your situation better! Click To Tweet Find it! Instead of focusing on how bad it is, think about how you are going to become better because of going through this. Every situation presents an incredible learning opportunity about yourself, about others, about life!
- Be thankful. Yes, in the midst of the worst times be thankful. Scripture says, “Be thankful in everything.” It doesn’t say “for” everything, but “in” everything. Always maintain an attitude of gratitude. I have a sign hanging by my mirror that says, “Too blessed to be stressed”. If you have breathe, then you have something to be thankful for. Too blessed to be stressed! Click To Tweet
- Never allow your emotions to determine your actions. Your actions should come from well thought out decisions, never based simply on how you feel at the moment.
- Reach out. Don’t be someone who bottles everything up and never shares with anyone. Everyone in life goes through the same struggles. You aren’t the first one to deal with this. A close friend or family member may be able to help you gain perspective, or just help you in a way you never thought of. And many times just a listening ear will help you gain a little clarity and perspective.
The quality of your life is determined first and foremost by the quality of your thoughts and attitudes, not by your circumstances. The quality of your life is determined first and foremost by the quality of your thoughts. Click To Tweet Make a commitment today…right now…to focus on something you actually have control over. Then watch when you change your perspective of things, things will actually begin to change!